+  planetsuper forums
|-+  Main» Off Topic» Merry Christmas!
Username:
Password:
Advanced Search
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Merry Christmas!  (Read 16244 times)
Supermercado
Administrator

Repeated head trauma can cause brain damage

« on: Dec 24, 2006, 09:44 PM »

Well, it's not quite Christmas but it's close enough now that I can safely say it, so Merry Christmas, all. Yay!

"I couldn't do that. Could you do that? Why can they do it? Who are those guys?"

Take my love, take my land, take me where I cannot stand. I don't care, I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me.
elmono311
Global Moderator

Delish in the dish.

« Reply #1 on: Dec 24, 2006, 10:17 PM »

It's not Christmas yet, you dope

She always did love to dance.

"Michael Waltrip is the worst driver in NASCAR period. I cannot believe Napa signed back on with him." -Clint Bowyer after getting in a wreck at Bristol, 8/23/08
elmono311
Global Moderator

Delish in the dish.

« Reply #2 on: Dec 24, 2006, 11:23 PM »

NOW it's Christmas. MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!

"Michael Waltrip is the worst driver in NASCAR period. I cannot believe Napa signed back on with him." -Clint Bowyer after getting in a wreck at Bristol, 8/23/08
jitspoe
Platinum Member

« Reply #3 on: Dec 24, 2006, 11:45 PM »

Merry Christmas!

To make this thread more interesting, I think we should share some of our Christmas traditions.

At our house, Christmas starts at about.... Thanksgiving.  My mom gets really into it, so we get a good 2 months of Christmas music and decorations.  She's basically the kid in the family now and can't wait to open presents, which brings me to another tradition: gift guessing.  In our house, you are not allowed to open a present until you've guessed, or spent sufficient time attempting to guess, what's in a present.  I'm not sure if anybody else does this, but I'd highly recommend it.  It makes the gift giving session longer and much more entertaining.  If you're not clever in the gifts you get, you can at least be clever in the way you wrap them!

Another gift-related tradition is that each person gets to open one (small/inexpensive) gift on Christmas Eve.

What else... we usually have a puzzle that we all work on -- something big enough that it takes a couple days of work on and off to complete.  Sometimes we actually finish it, too.  Occasionally we do a gingerbread house, but with the limited time my sister and I have to visit, they aren't as frequent as they used to be.

On Christmas morning, my mom bakes cinnamon rolls.  The good ones -- nice and juicy -- and the cinnamon, butter, and brown sugar almost forms a candy surface on the bottom.  Dinner is pretty similar to Thanksgiving -- usually turkey, mashed potatoes, corn casserole, rolls, etc., with a variety of pies for dessert: apple, pecan, pumpkin, and, my personal favorite, gooseberry.  Gooseberries are hard to come by, though, so we don't always get that one.

There's plenty more, but I think those are the key ones.  What are your Christmas traditions?
« Last Edit: Dec 24, 2006, 11:51 PM by jitspoe » Logged

BALETED!
PiCaSSo
« Reply #4 on: Dec 25, 2006, 02:32 AM »

I'd share my family's traditions but I just got in after a long drive and it's the wee hours of the morning...  Yes, Christmas morning...  Merry Christmas all Smiley
elmono311
Global Moderator

Delish in the dish.

« Reply #5 on: Dec 25, 2006, 08:24 AM »

Santa Claus Arrested For Breaking And Entering
By Jackson Steele
Mon Dec 25, 3:01 AM EST

CRIPPLE CREEK (Reuters) – A man dressed in a red and white fur coat was arrested this morning for breaking and entering. The man, identified as Santa Claus, age unknown, was caught climbing down the chimney of a house owned by Clark Stanley of Cripple Creek, CO.

“I was passed out on the couch and was aroused by a noise from the chimney. I wiped the drool from my mouth and got my shotgun. I damn near blew the guy’s face off when I saw him,” Stanley said.

Claus claims he was doing a job he had been doing for centuries, delivering toys to all the boys and girls of the world. He said little Susy Stanley lived at the house and she had asked for a Barbie playset. The bag Claus carried to the scene was sent to a bomb disposal unit for safety reason. Each wrapped package inside the bag is expected to be blown up in case they pose a threat.

“There ain’t no Susy living here. She lives down the street. The idiot had the wrong address and now he’s paying for his bookkeeping error,” Stanley drunkenly stated.

As he was hauled into a patrol car for processing, Claus swore he was going to fire the elf that didn’t update the addresses.

“You can’t take me away! Think of all the boys and girls who aren’t getting this presents this year!” Claus was heard yelling as he was shoved into the squad car. Claus is expected to be brought up on charges of breaking and entering and of suspicious terrorist activities.

A further search of the rooftop to determine how Claus got into the chimney found eight reindoor tied up to a sleigh. Police are confused as to how they got up there. One of the reindeer, its tag reading Donner, attacked one of the police officers and was immediately shot. Stanley asked if he could keep the carcass for deer meat. The rest of the reindeer are expected to be taken to an animal shelter to be sent back to Canada. The sleigh will be processed as evidence.

disnut8
Platinum Member

« Reply #6 on: Dec 25, 2006, 08:50 AM »

We really never developed any Christmas traditions because every year, we were someplace else or it was just the three of us together.  About the only thing was milk and cookies for Santa and then later it was beer and cookies.

The one tradition we did have was carried over from my childhood.  After one Christmas were my parents had a night where their beverages were a bit stronger than Santa's milk, my sister and I woke them up at 5 or 6 in the morning.  That was the year the Sowa Decree was born.  No child in the house can wake up any adult until 8:00.  The kid could get up and look at the presents (they couldn't open them) but the adults had until 8:00 AM to sleep.

Another tradition from when I was a kid was to go around and visit all the relatives.  Most of them lived in the same city so it was easy.  My mother had four sisters in town and they in between them and my mother had sixteen kids and those kids also had kids (I was the youngest of the cousins, the oldest was twenty years older than me).  Every year we had two "hosts" because most of the time someone wasn't talking to someone else so you had to pick which place you were going to.  Family dysfunction at its best.

Oh - and the one rule my parents had for gifts.  The only clothing we ever got was a new outfit to wear on Christmas Day.  Nothing else was permitted.

Dream Disney Dreams and Always Remember the Magic
Zorchenhimer

« Reply #7 on: Dec 25, 2006, 09:35 AM »

How one tradition started:

One particular Christmas a long time ago,
Santa was getting ready for his annual trip, but there were
problems everywhere.
Four of his elves got sick, and the trainee
elves did not produce the toys as fast as the regular ones,
so Santa was begining to feel the pressure of being behind
schedule. Then, Mrs Claus told him that her Mum was coming
to visit. This stressed Santa even more.
Then, when he went to harness the reindeer. He found three of
them were about to give birth and two had jumped the fence
and were out heaven knows where. Then when
he began to load the sleigh one of the boards cracked and
the toy bag fell to the ground and scattered the toys
everywhere. So, frustrated Santa went back into the house
for a cup of coffee and a shot of whiskey. When he went to
the cupboard, he discovered that someone had downed all of his
liquor and there was nothing left to drink.
In his frustration, he accidently dropped the
coffee pot and it broke into hundreds of pieces all over the
kitchen floor. He went to get the broom and found that the
mice had eaten the straw from which it was
made. Just then, the doorbell rang and Santa cussed his way
to the door. He opened the door and there was a little angel
with a great big Christmas tree. The angel
said cheerfully, "Merry Christmas Santa. Isn't it just a
wonderful day? I have a beautiful tree for you. Where would
you like me to stick it?"

Thus began the
tradition of the little angel on top of the Christmas tree .

"We Americans are freedom loving people and nothing says freedom like getting away with it" -Guy Forsyth

Galbadia Hotel - Soundtracks
Supermercado
Administrator

« Reply #8 on: Dec 25, 2006, 10:07 AM »

Our biggest Christmas traditions are probably eating pizza on Christmas Eve and eating monkey bread - like cinnamon rolls, basically - on Christmas morning. My dad and his sister and my parents started the pizza tradition a while back, I think just because it was easy and fast on Christmas Eve but now we do it every year and have been doing it for as long as I can remember. My aunt and uncle and grandparents come over and we eat pizza and then we open the gifts from them since they're here in the evening and won't be in the morning.

When we get up Christmas morning, my mom always makes the monkey bread and we grub on that usually after we open presents. This year, though, everyone slept in and we did that first. That was a bit strange compared to normal, hehe.

The gift guessing sounds like it'd be fun but it's kind of gotten to the point in my family that we all buy our own stuff and then reimburse each other for it, hehe. I got my headphones for Christmas but I've had them since before Thanksgiving, for instance.

"I couldn't do that. Could you do that? Why can they do it? Who are those guys?"

Take my love, take my land, take me where I cannot stand. I don't care, I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me.
elmono311
Global Moderator

Delish in the dish.

« Reply #9 on: Dec 25, 2006, 11:07 AM »

We really never developed any Christmas traditions because every year, we were someplace else or it was just the three of us together.  About the only thing was milk and cookies for Santa and then later it was beer and cookies.

The one tradition we did have was carried over from my childhood.  After one Christmas were my parents had a night where their beverages were a bit stronger than Santa's milk, my sister and I woke them up at 5 or 6 in the morning.  That was the year the Sowa Decree was born.  No child in the house can wake up any adult until 8:00.  The kid could get up and look at the presents (they couldn't open them) but the adults had until 8:00 AM to sleep.

Another tradition from when I was a kid was to go around and visit all the relatives.  Most of them lived in the same city so it was easy.  My mother had four sisters in town and they in between them and my mother had sixteen kids and those kids also had kids (I was the youngest of the cousins, the oldest was twenty years older than me).  Every year we had two "hosts" because most of the time someone wasn't talking to someone else so you had to pick which place you were going to.  Family dysfunction at its best.

Oh - and the one rule my parents had for gifts.  The only clothing we ever got was a new outfit to wear on Christmas Day.  Nothing else was permitted.

You forgot the one about opening one gift on Christmas Eve. And we have carried over the 8 am rule for Marlie. Today, however, she slept until about 9 because the silly girl decided to stay up in her bed waiting for Santa...

elmono311
Global Moderator

Delish in the dish.

« Reply #10 on: Dec 25, 2006, 11:13 AM »

Now it's time for the standard What Did You Get On Christmas? posts

40 Year Old Virgin Unrated DVD
POW-MIA Hat
A black shirt that says "I See Dumb People" (I am definately wearing that to work tomorrow)
Hooters Wings Gift Set (comes with a plate, wing breading, wing sauce, and hot sauce)
Hot sauce gift set (Habanero Sauce, Cayenne Pepper Sauce, Chipotle Sauce, Jalapeno Sauce... my butt is going to be burning)
A book called The Few, about the American volunteers during the Battle of Britain in WWII
A Tony Stewart desk caddy for my pens. It's in the shape of two tires stacked on top of each other
$100 Best Buy gift card (JAMES BOND HERE WE COME!!!)

I'm sure Vengeance will post what Marlie and Mitchell got

Supermercado
Administrator

« Reply #11 on: Dec 25, 2006, 11:55 AM »

You should take a picture of baby's first Christmas for us to see.

As for me, I officially received my headphones, some more blank DVDs, Battlestar Galactica, 24 season 5, and a few other odds and ends. A very very good Christmas.

Vengeance

Supreme Allied Commander

« Reply #12 on: Dec 25, 2006, 01:06 PM »

I love all the traditions and jokes in this thread. LOL.

Yes, the morning wake up rule did carry over for Marlie. She's on antibiotics for strep, though, and I think maybe she's got some allergies on top of that because she has a low grade fever. So basically...she's in an off and on bad mood.

Mitchell and Marlie got: Stuff. Lots and lots of stuff.

There's no way I'm going into all of it, but it was stuff they like and they'll make lots of noise with. They also got gift cards from their two sets of great grandparents and they will be put to good use.

I got flavored hot cocoa and flavored coffee. Like that's going to keep me from Starbucks...

I got a flash drive. Woo hoo! And some warm gloves.

I also got a planner from my mom and a great gift card from G&G

But the gift that really took my breath away was from my mom. It was a necklace with three large gems on it. Three birthstones representing Marlie, Mitchell, and the baby we lost. I was really touched.

We still have to go to Grandma's for foodage and I have cheesy potatoes in the oven right now.

Oh! That's becoming a tradition...I make a breakfast casserole on Christmas morning. Eggs, sausage, and cheese for the most part. It got good reviews.  Grin
coffeecup

« Reply #13 on: Dec 25, 2006, 05:46 PM »

Our tradition was broken today.  We always have Christmas and present opening at my mom's with my aunt and cousins-----then have our own things at home.  But my aunt and cousins were unable to come today (from Indiana) and understandably...my mom wanted to see Marlie and Mitchell open their gifts.  My mom eats her oatmeal every morning, so she did that and I went and got her and brought her here in the morning.  Then Vengeance made an egg and sausage casserole for breakfast for the rest of us (might be our next tradition) and they opened gifts.  Ohhhhh....and there is NO 8am rule in my house!  But I don't think that's gonna be a problem since no one woke up before then anyways.  Maybe because Marlie has strept throat and still had a low grade fever today!  Christmas is special and it is fun---and I love to watch the kids when they are so happy and so excited on Christmas morning!  If she was up early---Vengeance and Elmono better have gotten out here----cuz WE wouldn't have waited.
Vengeance

Supreme Allied Commander

« Reply #14 on: Dec 25, 2006, 06:18 PM »

I guess it's a good thing we told Marlie about the rule and she agreed. hehehe.

She knew we wanted to be there with her, but honestly...we get no sleep with Mitchell sometimes. He loves night time and thinks that's the time to talk and play. We try to humor him, but it's difficult to be up all day AND all night.

And I don't think I need to worry about the 8 am rule being broken by my mother since NOTHING wakes her up and Marlie would never wake her up before Christmas morning before me because she knows if she relied on waking mom up, we wouldn't open presents until the 26th. LOL.
elmono311
Global Moderator

Delish in the dish.

« Reply #15 on: Dec 25, 2006, 06:40 PM »

Owned

jitspoe
Platinum Member

« Reply #16 on: Dec 25, 2006, 07:48 PM »

Zorchenhimer: Good joke. Smiley

I got my headphones for Christmas
Hey, we got the same thing for Christmas!  Fancy that.

In our house, we've resorted to making lists so we're at least guaranteed to get a few things that we want.  I had completely forgotten I had those headphones on the list, though.  I'm sitting there trying to guess this present from my dad -- it was the last present I had, too -- and I could not for the life of me figure it out.  It's always a killer when it's something on your own list and you can't remember what it was.  You'd think it would be easy, but your brain gets overloaded on the holidays, I guess.

"Ok, so it's something that's on my list.  It hooks up to the computer, but not through USB.  I already got a keyboard and mouse, so it can't be hooked up through PS/2.  Surely it's not serial or parallel.  The only other thing I can think of is video."  After pondering for a bit, a light went off.  "Network cables!  No?  Router?  No?  Nothing network related?"  What the heck else did you hook up to a computer?  Yeah, I felt dumb when it hit me.

I got a bunch of stuff.  The biggest one for me was the UTG M324S softair sniper rifle, plus a scope and other goodies for it.  I had that on my list, and my dad decided to get me a 22.  The locations I can shoot that are much more limited.  I also got Prey (the game) and SoF II.  Some more stuff -- too distracted watching MI:III right now to really think of it.  I'll post more later.

Hooters Wings Gift Set (comes with a plate, wing breading, wing sauce, and hot sauce)
No breasts?

Oh, also got a usb flash drive Swiss Army Knife and the first season of the Red Green show (neither were requested).

BALETED!
Vengeance

Supreme Allied Commander

« Reply #17 on: Dec 25, 2006, 08:57 PM »

No breasts?

It's okay. He has mine. Smiley
elmono311
Global Moderator

Delish in the dish.

« Reply #18 on: Dec 25, 2006, 08:59 PM »

You play airsoft, jitspoe?

Supermercado
Administrator

« Reply #19 on: Dec 25, 2006, 09:03 PM »

THE BOOB!

jitspoe
Platinum Member

« Reply #20 on: Dec 25, 2006, 09:16 PM »

You play airsoft, jitspoe?
I got a pistol a while back (just a cheap springer).  It... wasn't that accurate.  I thought it would be fun to have a nice, accurate gun - more accurate, anyway.  I don't know if there's anywhere I can play around here (or more specifically, people to play with).  It's fun to just shoot targets, though, and I can do it inside (well, at my own apartment - don't think it's a mother approved indoor sport when I'm at my parents').

You play?

BALETED!
Supermercado
Administrator

« Reply #21 on: Dec 25, 2006, 09:39 PM »

You'll shoot your eye out, kid!

(we watched that like 3 times between 8pm yesterday and 8pm today, hehehehe)

jitspoe
Platinum Member

« Reply #22 on: Dec 25, 2006, 10:08 PM »

Hehe, we watched it, too.  I felt like I could relate a lot better this Christmas.

BALETED!
disnut8
Platinum Member

« Reply #23 on: Dec 26, 2006, 10:32 AM »

We really didn't do a traditional Christmas at all.  We'll do more of that this weekend when we're up in Maryland with the in-laws.  We had to go out and find an open store to get Rich some sore throat medicine.  Imade some pretty damn good filet mignons for dinner.  Let me take that back - I made some AWESOME filet mignons for dinner.  I continued making my Christmas presents for everyone.  Then we watched football and, unfortunately, Rich lost in our fantasy football Super Bowl.  His opponent was ahead 49-47 and each had a player in the Dallas/Philly game.  While I'm glad Philly won, the touchdown for Dallas went to the wrong guy.  We did get a package from Rich's cousins and opened those up.  And our gifts to each other were radio scanners for the NASCAR races.  Half price at Wal Mart.  He got me a Junior one, I gave him a Tony Stewart one.

Dream Disney Dreams and Always Remember the Magic
jitspoe
Platinum Member

« Reply #24 on: Dec 26, 2006, 09:57 PM »

Normally my documentation turnaround time is not nearly this fast, but there's only one phrase I can think of to describe how this gun looks.  It starts with a "ba" and ends with a "ss", and I'm not referring to a fish.

First photo: The gun, fitted with an equally (if not more) awesome scope.  You can also see my cheap little handgun, which isn't very accurate past about 5 feet.  Helps give you an idea of scale, though.

Second photo: A closeup of the target that was supposedly designed for soft air guns.  It was electronic and would automatically lift the targets back up.  It did not, however, repair them when they got smashed to smithereens.  It also had a net, for catching stray BB's.  That worked for the pistol, however, it just ended up catching shards of plastic when the rifle was fired at it.

Third photo: My sister shooting the gun.  She's the one who bought it for me (plus all the cool accessories).

* softair_sniper01.jpg (77.11 KB, 800x427 - viewed 652 times.)

* softair_sniper02.jpg (89.7 KB, 800x531 - viewed 679 times.)

* softair_sniper03.jpg (86.14 KB, 800x531 - viewed 627 times.)

BALETED!
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Show unread posts since last visit

Jump to: